Who I Endorse for the Local 308 Elections

It's time to choose new elected leadership

Effective 2023-11-20, I have retracted all endorsements and will be personally not voting in this election. Read more at this article on my blog.

A video version on YouTube of this article is below.

What a wild month at ATU Local 308. Screaming Boss Dixon. Angry Deb Lame. I am so glad we will no longer need to deal with these dirty-diaper babies. Here's to the next batch of honored servants at Local 308! I stand by the following recommendations for the candidates. 

These are people who I struggle with in the edification of our union. Those who I don't mention are not being ignored. I just never worked with or witnessed them at work regarding union affairs (I have left out those who are unopposed—which includes me).

  1. President/Business Agent: Please choose Sister Pennie McCoach
    This sister works hard, answers my questions and talks to me and the members like I am an adult. Yeah, we got disagreements. But she puts in the time and patience needed. I think she will respect our democratic rights to make motions—as opposed to Ken Franklin.

    Read my endorsements about her:
    Meeting Candidate Pennie McCoach
    Sister Pennie: Why I Endorse Her For Local 308 President

    Outside of the 2017 strike authorization vote—which was initiated by members—Brother Ken Franklin has never supported any strike-related motions nor collective action against CTA mismanagment. He doesn't even support fellow Terminal Supervisors who were punished for not scabbing against Yardmasters. He constantly violated votes to seconded motions, bylaw revisions and more. I have countless examples of his treason in unofficial reports for the Chicago Transit Justice Coalition. He is a chronic procrastinator and a boss-loving, strike-hating tyrant just like President Dixon. Please do not let him be our president again.

My Personal Local 308 Endorsements

 

  1. Second Vice President: Please choose James Battle
    What can I say about Brother James? This man and I went at it during membership meetings. He is a Boss Dixon protege of sorts. But when he was appointed as Safety Liason, he went out of his way to connect with me to help protect our coworkers. That proves he can look beyond differences and build on common interests for our union. Unlike Eric "Out of order and run 'em over" Dixon, he proved himself to be a real man!

    He is a gentle giant with a mild temper. I trust him with our grievances. Aqua Fisher has been a cruel officer and steward, shaming members online, in person and in front of mismangers. She insults me, light-skin shames me and has very little sympathy for CSA's and FTTFs. She has banned me and others in her Facebook cult groups. She gossips about members' cases. I cannot recommend her at all. No, James is not an officer with "experience." But he has a heart for the rank-and-file members. That is what really matters in his position.

    I am voting for Brother James Battle.

  2. Secretary-Treasurer: Please choose Cheryl Sistrunk
    When she calls her work a "Transparency Campaign," I believe her. This sister has a heart for the poor. She raised her children and struggled. She literally clothes and feeds homeless people, despite being in a horrible Poverty Time CTA job. I believe she will tell us the Truth about our terrible financial condition.

    This sister is so brave that she has participated in a number of protests with me and other CTA coworkers in the Chicago Transit Justice Coalition. Anyone that can do that has proven that they truly care about our coworkers—and are unafraid of CTA mismanagement. We need her in this spot more than ever!

    She's got a fiery temper, but has shown me that she can admit when she is wrong, make peace and find common ground with coworkers. Her temper is almost always directed at the enemies of the workers and poor. She also takes meticulous notes, is eager to soak up new information and never ever sides with CTA mismanagement or the scumbag politicians.

    She told me she will open up Treasury for all members to examine at any time. Not make us schedule "an appointment" at her convenience. I am sorry to say, but Sister Kim and Brother Cleve both told me they will only share union financial information by appointment—and maybe at the membership meeting. I don't care how much experience or "relationships" they have with mismanagers, that is an unacceptable stance.

    Please reject the others and choose Sister Cheryl.

  3. Assistant Facilities Maintenance: Please choose Matthew Preston Barrion
    This brother was in the same union steward class with me. When I visited Midway Terminal to check on coworkers and organize a protest, I saw him at a table with information about the union for members. He takes initiative and helps coworkers fight mismanagers. He doesn't side with mismanagers. I know nothing about his opposition. But I see leadership that we need in this brother.

    Rail Janitors, please choose Brother Matthew Preston Barrion.

  4. Assistant Secretary-Treasurer: I am on the fence.
    Both Sister Cassie and Sister Katheryn have attempted to stop me from sharing information and helping coworkers get what they want. I am disappointed in Sister Cassie for that because I have helped her with information regarding shop workers when Boss Dixon blocked me from representing them. It really shocked me when she told me to give back a flier that was on a table about a dues increase. Of course, the justifications are aplenty. And humility is non-existent. I cooperated, but quickly informed the membership on Facebook after the meeting.

    Sister Katheryn Donald-Shipp has got alot of time in her position. I felt her pain many times as I tried to get to the bottom of why I was meeting so many members who Sister Deborah Cosey-Lane did not enroll in our union. I watched her try to clean up the mess our insecure and cruel Secretary-Treasurer made with getting our ATU Convention delegation paperwork in order.

    I watched her be humiliated by Sister Deborah as she barked orders at her to block my submission of statements for the record. But I cannot forget that she would not let a member talk to the union lawyer regarding a leave issue. I was so angry. No, it's not her fault. But we need elected leadership that fights for the members only—not to cover up for each other.

    I want to vote for Sister Katheryn based on my experience with her. But at the same time, I want to give someone else a chance. However, to me, the alternative is just the same.

    I cannot recommend either one at this time
    .

  5. Rail North Executive Board: Thomas Morgan
    As with Sister Cassie, I had high hopes for Brother Carlos Lasso. We had great conversations and debates at Kimball Terminal when I started. But his attitude toward union democracy is cold. When I criticized the elected leaders for spending dues money on free Thanksgiving turkeys instead of organizing us to fight like a real union, he took it personally. He mocks my motions and questions at membership meetings.

    Brother Thomas is interesting. He is often part of the annoying union boss peanut gallery at the membership meetings. He is also of the "Eric Basir is a white man" conspiracy group (similar to Barack Obama's "Birther" conspiracy theorists). He even mocked my Black father as just an adoptive parent. I hated him for that and it made me very angry. However, I also have respect for him. He bravely confronted me about an issue that he disagreed with at Howard Shop. I can tell he is willing to engage with me in serious conversation.

    I think anyone that is willing to seriously engage with annoying members who are disliked has great potential for leadership. If I could vote for him, I would do it.

  6. Rail Forest Park Lake Midway Executive Board: Martin Gallardo
    This brother has been on my wish list of elected leadership since I was a Flagman in 2019. We disagree on some things, but a month doesn't go by when he doesn't honor me with a phone call. He speaks straight words, knows that we must organize fight like a real union, is a proud member of the Chicago Transit Justice Coalition and has a gentle heart for those who suffer.

    He stood with me when the union bosses condemned me. He brilliantly survived the evil RTO recertification program and does not let the CTA mismanagers or union misleaders bully anyone. As with me, many members trust him more than the elected people who are supposed to help us. He comes from a Teamsters family and can smell business union bullshxt a mile away. Read this from-the-heart essay he wrote on my public Facebook Group.

    If I could vote for Brother Martin, I would do it again, again and again.

  7. Rail Forest Park Lake Midway Assistant Executive Board: Renato Guzman
    I discovered this hidden gem for Revolutionary Unionism before the first wave of the Pandemic. He and many other CTA bus and rail workers joined with me and unjustly fired bus operator Erek Slater to form a solution that would protect jobs, keep us safe and build for mass action (PDF version here). Brother Renato and I spoke up defiantly to then president Ken Franklin to motion for it. Although we were unlawfully blocked from getting a vote, we won because the ATU copied our entire motion word-for-word. They just removed the words about sick-outs, strikes and virtual mass membership meetings.

    Brother Renato, also a member of the Chicago Transit Justice Coalition, helped me reach out to coworkers at Midway Terminal regarding union reformation. He is a Local 308 union steward that selflessly assists coworkers. He survived a terrible injury that was no fault of his own and I have to say I see nothing but a warrior for union democracy in this man.

    If I could vote for Brother Renato, I would vote with an audible HELL YES!

The full document of candidates from Local 308 Secretary-Treasurer Deb Lame is published below:

2023 Local 308 Candidates G... by Chicago Transit Justice Coa...

 

Comments

Popular Articles