Combative CTA Boogeyman

CTA mismanagers harass, intimidate and punish coworkers, but they call me "combative"
In the latest episode of the Wild, Wild World of CTA Mismanagement, I wanted to share with you the complaint and response to my request regarding my illegal removal from Kimball Rail Maintenance Shop break-room on February 8th.

The following message from the City of Chicago FOIA is disappointing, but not surprising. The entire City of Chicago machine is inherently anti-worker and anti-revolutionary. History proves this to be True

Illinois is called a pro-union state, but we are actually a pro-Business Union, pro-Corporation vassal state.

Click each image to enlarge and examine for yourself:





A few days prior, my Unfair Labor Practice charge against CTA mismanagement was assigned a case number: L-CA-24-022. The Illinois Labor Relations Board agent asked me questions to obtain more information. I never know if they do this to trip me up, but I do my best to be honest and succinct. 

My answers are in blue text.

Was this your first time at this location or do you routinely conduct this type of visit? What time were you there? Were any other union representatives with you?  

No, I have visited many times since being a Local 308 steward. Mostly to post fliers in the break-room. A separate ULP charge was filed regarding previous incident for removal of fliers at the same location (Kimball Shop) L-CA-24-018. In this ULP charge to which I am replying, this was my first time being released from work for an entire day. I was the only union representative present.

Were you responsible for posting the materials on the Union bulletin board? Were the materials on the front of display case or behind the glass?  

Yes I was responsible. They were on front. It is locked and I do not have a key. As told to me by Manager X in a previous encounter, I could place them on the front of it. Apparently, the handbills were still removed by management as indicated in L-CA-24-018

Specifically, which materials were posted on the bulletin board? 

Issue No. 5 of Shop Talk newsletter. See attached PDF file.

Were there other witnesses to these events? If so, who?  

Yes.  X. X X. X contact information is X@X.com and +1 (XXX) XXX‑XXX‬.

5. What, specifically, was said by GM X and X? How were they harassing you?  

They were constantly telling me to leave and demanded I stop posting “unofficial” union documents. I explained that I was elected by the workers, my duties are to inform them and that what I post is official as per my duties in the Local 308 bylaws. I am the only reliable source of union and Contract-related information at their work locations. Manager X claimed that Local 308 President Pennie McCoach approved of her illegally removing the fliers. I phoned President McCoach and she denied having given any such approval.

6. Have X and/or X expressed anti-union sentiments in the past?  

X has repeatedly accused me of causing work disruptions over the years. I never did such a thing and always complied with her directives about where I could visit with coworkers. When I was training for Truck Shop Repairer at Midway Shop, she constantly complained about my examining the Pick Sheets during breaks. It was my job as a steward to keep up with that information.

7. What led to the police being called? Was there an exchange of words before the call was made? If so, what was said and who said it? 

I am not certain. She was constantly telling me to leave. I continued to state that I was there for the members' protection and enforcement of the Contract. I suppose she was just fed up.

When the police arrived, what happened?  

I immediately packed up and attempted to leave the building. However, I was delayed by questioning and I explained that I was sent there by our union president. Although I am not sure if I stated it, but I am also an employee of the CTA.  

Were you told why the police were called?  

I believe something was said about me allegedly causing a disruption and “forcing” myself on workers.  What did the police say to you?  

They asked me to get a note signed by the Union president and General Manager X stating I could be there so that they would not remove me.   

Did you receive a copy of the police report?  

No, they refused. Only gave me a complaint number JH144756. 

If so, can you please provide a copy of the report? 

I submitted a FOIA request from the City of Chicago and have attached their confirmation below. As of 2/25/2024, I have not received the report, body cam video and transcript.  

Were you asked to leave the building or did you choose to leave of your own volition? 

I was asked to leave. However, I did attempt to leave as I saw the police approaching the building General Manager through the window of the break room.

Since these events, have you filed any complaints with the Employer or discussed the matter with anyone else? 

I have written about it on my blog (https://bit.ly/4bEBNbz) and notified members.   

Have there been any developments since the charge was filed? 

I was requested by members to represent them and sent by the Local 308 president on 2/16/2024 to Kimball Shop. General Manager X nor Manager X attempted to harass or restrain me. X never uttered a word to me (which brought me great joy). They seemed to have changed their behavior since I submitted the ULP charges. I wrote about it on my blog (https://bit.ly/4c1vlM6).  

Have you discussed this issue with the Union?  

I notified the Local 308 president and requested a statement from her and the Executive Board to condemn this Unfair Labor Practice during our meeting (especially important because we have an expired Contract). She declined, stating she wanted to see what the ILRB and our union attorney advises. I suspect the attorney, Local 308 president and the Executive Board have no desire to assist since they were in the middle of a campaign to punish me—and possibly remove me from office. On February 13th, members overturned their campaign at our membership meeting and the charges were thrown out.

Please provide any additional information you feel is necessary and relevant to my investigation of this charge.  

You may want to refer to the following ULP charges I have submitted over the past few years. Most are about protected speech and a personal dislike for me. There is a clear pattern of unlawful conduct:



L-CA-21-027

L-CA-22-022

L-CA-23-001

L-CA-23-017

L-CA-23-024

L-CA-24-009

L-CA-24-018


Comments

Popular Articles