Manager vs. Mismanager: What's the Difference?

Working at the CTA and being an Amalgamated Transit Union Local 308 elected official has helped me distinguish two types of persons that manage the company: Managers and mismanagers.

Those who take Article 1.1 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement seriously, treat us with respect, honor our seniority, stay out of union affairs and be accountable are managers

Those who ignore Article 1.1 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, treat us like dirt, spit on our seniority and discourage workers from participating in protected activity and lie are mismanagers. By the nature of their mismanagement regarding our working conditions, they are responsible for the delays and poor service that riders experience.

The most important part of our Contract

Sometimes a person can be a mismanager on some days and a manager on others. I deal with them as they are—during whatever situation we are in. More and more managers are witnessing me in the office as a union official. They are beginning to figure out that I am not like the other ones.

I deal squarely with them as opponents. In the sport of Judo, we attack with the goal of submitting our opponent with efficient techniques through minimum effort. We fight honorably and with full commitment. However we engage, we remain in total control of ourselves. When we are pushed, we pull. When we are pulled, we push.

In the "ring" of CTA bureaucracy, I employ Judo tactics as a state of mind. I am a merciless, relentless fighter for self and coworkers. I tell them the Truth. I know my opponent. I know my weakenesses. They know me. 

Simply put: Deal with me and my coworkers with respect. I will deal with you with respect. 

If you are managing right, no need to be offended when I talk about mismanagers. It ain't you. I hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Comments

Popular Articles