How To Earn The Members’ Trust

It's time to take our union out of the trash can of unionism
I have some tips for you newly-elected union officials (and curious incumbents). I know almost all of you hate or fear me for various reasons. But you see what I do and feel frustrated that so many members have stopped paying dues and mistrust you. 

More and more CTA coworkers trust me for one reason: I trust them to make the best decisions for themselves. 

I demonstrate my trust of them through the following:

 
 
  1. Share everything I learn with them.

  2. I am patient with their questions and insecurities.

  3. I speak plainly and never belittle their concerns.

  4. I apologize when I fail them.

  5. I don’t try to sell them anything that enriches me.

  6. I never side with politicians, mismanagers and uncoordinators.

  7. I never tell them “we can’t tell the CTA what to do.”

  8. I don’t find ways to steal from them.

  9. I involve them in every initiative and decision I need to make.

  10. I will stand with them in a petition, report, grievance, poster or bullhorn to defend them unconditionally, even if it is just myself and one person. Even if they slandered me prior.

Try it. It works. 

No need to thank me. Just do the right thing by the members. 

Comments

Popular Articles