When Are You Going To Do Your Part?

I lost count how many times members said they would show up to help me fight for them and never did it
As you watch the union agents of business run from their sworn responsibility to the membership in their actions to silence and punish me, you may be tempted to condemn me for my “approach”, “conduct” or my use of harsh language. 

Fine. I can take it. 

In fact, I expect and accept it. 

Criticism, slander and emulation just makes a man stronger and wiser. I actually value your sincere advice and admonition. What doesn’t edify me, takes nothing from me—because I really, truly am NOTHING. 

But you should also condemn yourself for making excuses to not attend membership meetings, hold elected leaders accountable, nor protesting terrible working conditions (stuff me and others in the the Chicago Transit Justice Coalition do on our spare time). 

You got all kinds of advice and expectations of how you want me to speak, act and write. I am truly flattered and believe you sincerely care. 

But when I ask you to add your unique perspective and ideas during these opportunities where I apparently behave in ways you object, there is always an excuse from you. You don't even try. 

I am often alone battling bootlicking, boss-loving, strike-hating traitors. Basically, carry your sentiment and desires into meeting and do my best to represent you. But where are you? Where are you to Second the motions for what you want me to help you do? Nowhere.

I ain’t your martyr man. I ain’t your programmable union cyborg. I ain’t your sacrificial lamb. I ain’t your excuse to do nothing and hide under the bed from the wrath of Weems and the CTA demons

Cast all the stones you want at me. I admit I am I am piece of shxt that ain’t worth a damn. But you are culpable too. 

Either take responsibility for our union, embrace the unpleasant side effects of union democracy or give up. 

Ain’t nothing gonna get better until you accept that the union is yours—not some secret society personality cult with elected bosses. 

Comments

Popular Articles